Our Curriculum Impact
‘Our goal is for all our students to leave us as happy, well-qualified, confident young adults who go on to excel in local sixth-forms, colleges, universities, higher level apprenticeships and the wider world’.
The impact of our ambitious and broad curriculum can be observed in both the academic outcomes and the ‘cultural capital’ gained through the range of personal development experiences for students at Darton Academy.
- In 2019 Darton Academy was the best performing school in Barnsley for progress and the 6th most improved in the country.
- In 2019 the percentage of students achieving grade 5 or above in English in Maths was 12% and 11% above the Barnsley local authority average and national English school average respectively.
- English: In 2019 students achieved on average two thirds of a grade better than other students nationally.
- English: a third of all our students achieved GCSE grades 7-9.
- Maths: student grades increased by 0.75 with an increase in of 5% in top grades.
- Science: our results are in the top 20% of the country.
- Our progress 8 score has increased by almost a whole grade; our students achieve over a third of a grade better than their peers nationally in all subjects
- EBacc: student grades increased by 0.75 to a progress 8 score of +0.27.
Darton Academy has a relentless desire to promote a range of experiences to develop ‘cultural capital’ for our learners, helping students to develop as truly global citizens. These experiences are designed to deepen their understanding of the material taught in the classroom and inspire students to become lifelong learners. In addition, we ask all our students to undertake a range of academy pledges including taking an active role volunteering, undertaking charity work or through initiatives to help promote sustainability in the environment, ensuring they understand the lasting impact they can have on local or global issues.